Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fashion Repair: Lint Removal

Have you ever had a dark-colored piece of clothing that you couldn't wear any more because of stubborn lint? I have a blazer that I haven't worn in months because a huge and very noticeable amount of fuzzballs had accumulated on its surface.

First I tried adhesive-type lint rollers, but found them ineffective as the lint wouldn't catch on. Next, out of desperation, I tried manually removing every single fuzzball, by picking at them one by one. Needless to say, it was a futile effort. I gave up around five minutes in.

The lint roller was not effective on its own:
I decided to search for solutions online. I found a number of basic tips to prevent lint accumulation, such as proper washing and drying. But what I needed to find was something that could repair my blazer. I read somewhere that using a single blade razor would remove the most stubborn lint balls. For this "project," I used a clean two-blade razor. I ran the razor in the direction of the fiber, and used the lint roller to pick out the loose fuzz. Here are the results:

The "shaved" fuzzballs finally stuck to the lint roller:
I didn't expect it to work so well. Who would've thought? I just hope I didn't do permanent damage to the blazer. i guess we will find out after the next wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment